- Research schools online, not online schools: As advanced as the internet is, you still have to sit in a classroom and then get hands-on experience to learn proper radiography. There's no such thing as an online school to get properly certified. Sure, some programs may offer modules or extra resources online, but make sure whatever program you choose offers a good amount of practical training. Ultimately, that's what you're going to be doing, so better be good at it!
- Accreditation matters: Make sure the school you select is fully accredited. If you're not careful and don't mind, an xray tech job may be hard to find! Accreditation helps guarantee you that you are getting a quality education that will pay for itself many times over after you graduate. It also helps reassure you that you will receive a certain level of instruction.
- Find out what their job placement rate is: Where do the graduates go? What do they do after radiography school? Were they happy with their experience? This is key information to understanding whether a particular program might be right for you. Even if you like what hear from the current students or administrators, the real measure of a radiologic technologist school is how their graduates perform.
- Money matters: Make sure you understand well in advance what kind of loans and student aid you will need to take in order to finance your education. There is a lot of information to be found on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website: www.fafsa.gov. Additionally, the school's financial aid office should be able to help tailor a package to your specific needs. If you are not well prepared, after two years, you could end without a job AND with tons of loans to payoff. Make sure this does not happen to you.
- Search smart: Now that you know what to look for, search smart. Don't depend on websites that aggregate information for your information. Go straight to the school's website and learn more. If you are having trouble getting started, go to the website for the American Society of Radiologic Technologists to find more info about the field and particular schools.
Your journey to finding a successful, rewarding job in radiology and radiography starts with a solid educational foundation. Unleash the power of the Web in your search to find your ideal situation. Good luck!
|Your xray tech school training will ensure that you're not this patient!|